Fashion Design Programmes at Cindrebay
Fashion Design Programmes at Cindrebay: At Cinderbay we believe in a holistic understanding and learning of fashion. We understand that the Fashion world is more than the sum of its beautifully crafted dresses, or realisation of new designs. It is also the recognition of various nuances of fabrics and materials that are used create a fashion statement.
We understand that a designer has to travel many a step to create that beautiful masterpiece and at Cinderbay we aim to inculcate aspiring designers with an understanding of those steps that would transform them into master designers.
Our curriculum aims at recognising fabrics, discern the differences between them, technicalities employed on various materials, their histories, their employment, their implementation, among others.
The various components of the one-year course include:
Introduction to Apparel Construction:
- Aspects of fashion: This component aims to teach students Basic Illustration, understanding of various textiles, different methods of printing, various kinds of fabrics used like yarn, thread, methods of stitching, weaving, knitting, usage of power looms, handlooms, and wash and care instructions.
Practicals include understanding the technique of dying and printing, creating designs engaging methods of Stencil, Batik, among others.
Indian textile and Costume:
- India’s contribution to the world of textiles: India and the textiles available in various states, recognising the diversity in textiles available, learning about textiles like Kanchevaram, Banarasi, Jaipuri embroidery, Gujarat’s block printing, Kashmiri intricate textile designing.
World and contemporary fashion:
- History of Fashion: An in-depth knowledge of the history of fashion starting from the 19th Century, trajectory of world fashion and fashion designers, contemporary fashion and its pioneers, history of costumes.
Accessories and its role:
- Jewellery, bags, and belts: Indian Jewellery, bags, belts, enhancing a costume with the help of accessories, material used, substitutes, technicalities of materials used.
Technique of apparel construction
- Knowledge of the mechanism employed: Different parts of the sewing machine, applique application, elements of design lines, colours, shape technique, drawing out the design, fashion terminology, understanding the terms used in the world of fashions.
The classes revolved around a set theory-practical basis. Students will have six hours of theory followed by three hours of practical where they will implement lessons learnt in class. Students will also be taught basic software functions like Photoshop, fashion studio, and the like to help them put together apparel complete with their designs.
The course puts a lot of emphasis on garment and pattern construction. Students will be encouraged to make a draft of their dress, and will also be coached on the creation of right drafts and draft measurements.
The regular classes will be supplemented with guest lectures that will educate students of the need and the creation for the right kind of portfolio, the latest requirements of the fashion industry, importance of public relations, among others.